.

.

Saturday, December 7, 2013

The cost of Hashimotos

I had to hit the pharmacy today...again. I swear I live there! I know I could get 3 month refills on all my meds but who can afford that since I am one of the million uninsured American's (ps. Obama care cost me more per year than I spend being a cash patient) so I get 30 refills.  I will tell you through for 35 a year I can join walgreens prescription plan and save big bucks, why Walgreen's well my local Wal-Mart does not want to stock my thyroid medication because of the short shelf life and they have no other demand for it...that's ok Walgreen's is way better in customer service and timely filling.

I know you look at my picture and think well if she lost the weight she could get off some of her medication.....wrong. Thyroid disease is for life, I will always be on some of the meds if not all. It isn't as simple as taking a pill and magically fixing the problem. Hasimotos has caused several issue

High Blood Pressue - This is not a every day kind of thing, when my levels are good I no longer require HBP medication.  I go off and on this...sometimes with in the same month.

Low Potassium - HBP medication reduces the absorption of Potassium in my body, so does my nose spray.

PCOS- So I have to take birth control pills just to be normal

Constant infections and colds- Mainly sinus and chest colds, so I take a RX nose spray daily and inhaler to cut down these flare ups...only 2 so far in the last 11 months (yay!)

Over all I take 8 pills a day

Thyroid medication, HBP, Potassium, Birth Control, Inhaler, Nose Spray, Multivitamin (extremely important!!), biotin (because Hashi makes you hair fall out)

That cost me appox 150.00 at month with the walgreens plan...with out appox 278.00

I don't know the purpose of this post...just blogging because I have cabin fever and cant wait for the ice to melt! LOL

No comments:

Post a Comment

.

.

Blog Archive